Weekend Forecast: 'The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1'
Featured Stories - on November 19, 2014
This weekend is poised to deliver the biggest opener of 2014.
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1
- After the enormous success of the first two films, there's little reason why Mockingjay - Part 1 shouldn't open in a similar $150-160 million range.
- Twitter activity is stellar, generating over 366,000 tweets in the past week alone.
- The franchise's Facebook fan page has grown to an impressive 21.7 million fans, up from 11.6 million at the same point before Catching Fire's release.
- Flixster activity is the strongest of any release this year with 99 percent of more than 171,000 users anticipating the penultimate chapter.
- Early reviews are slightly mixed, citing the finale's split into two parts as a hindrance to the pace of the overall story.
- Past split-finales have performed well at the box office, however, they did post small-to-modest declines (Harry Potter and Twilight, namely). The Hobbit could also be a fair example of this trend.
- Will the cloud-hack controversy involving Jennifer Lawrence have any negative effect among parents with younger children? Unlikely, but it's small chance worth noting given her superstar status.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, Nov. 23|
|The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1||Nov 21, 2014||Lionsgate
|Big Hero 6||Nov 7, 2014||Disney
|Dumb and Dumber To||Nov 14, 2014||Universal
|Interstellar||Nov 5, 2014||Paramount
|Beyond the Lights||Nov 14, 2014||Relativity Media
|Gone Girl||Oct 3, 2014||Fox
|St. Vincent||Oct 10, 2014||Weinstein Company
|Fury (2014)||Oct 17, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|The Theory of Everything||Nov 7, 2014||Focus
|Birdman||Oct 17, 2014||Fox Searchlight
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.